Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Hola, Carmelitas

Welcome to my first ever food blog! I always wanted to start one but with everyone having their own these days, I didn't know how to make my food blog stand out from the rest. So I thought for a while (more like a year) and came to one solid realization. Each of my siblings loves to cook. We all have a love for food and making all kinds of tasty/savory dishes.

My oldest brother Ryan is great at making things up on the fly. Add some garlic here, throw some BBQ sauce in there and "vua-law!" A delicious dish! He's great at conceptualizing meals as he makes them, enhancing the ingredient's flavors one step at a time. I have always admired his creativity (and his twice baked potatoes). But more of that, to come!

My sister Rachelle has developed her own exotic cooking style. She's a "follow-the-recipe" kind of girl and is so unique with her flavor combinations. She instinctively knows what goes with what. Her salads are too.freaking.die for. Crisp romaine lettuce, baby spinach greens, sunflower seeds, craisins, feta cheese and some amazing vinaigrette that puts any Kraft dressing to shame. Her typical weekday meals consist of dishes from all over, Mexican, Asain, Italian and American. She knows her flavors!

My second brother Ross has had a love for food ever since I can remember. He loves experimenting with different textures and food combinations. When I see Ross in the kitchen, I see an artist painting on his canvas, a musician playing his instrument, a writer with his blank pad of paper. Ross belongs in the kitchen. He creates from inside and masters his recipes from studying and watching others. I always thought he should go to Culinary School simply because when he's in the kitchen, he's happy, and he makes dang good food.

As for me, I developed my love for cooking in college. Don't get me wrong, I have ALWAYS loved food. When I was younger, I remember my mother frequently saying to me during dinner time, "Can you really eat all that?"And with great muster I would always exclaim back, "Oh yes I can!" Little did I know she was probably trying to teach me portion control rather than doubting my ability to down a whole plate of delicious grub (thanks mom, got it now). So once I left home and realized that mom wouldn't be cooking for me anymore, I knew I had to learn for myself how to make good food. I remember one of the first dishes I ever made for a crowd at college was Chicken Parmesan (from a recipe I found in THIS cookbook) and everyone loved it. Since then I have created a wide range of recipes and my palate has been diversified. I love to cook, get new recipes and share my own! So please feel free to enjoy my families recipes and try them out with your own. You just might like what you taste :)
(L-R, Ross, Ryan, myself, Rachelle)


This first recipe that I'd like to share with you is actually from a good friend of mine (okay, not a family member right off the bat, I know, but I just made these yesterday and know she wouldn't mind. Thanks Jenny!) They're called Carmelitas and they are freaking heaven. This is probably the best dessert I have ever eaten simply because I am a HUGE caramel lover. I would chose caramel over chocolate any day. So here you go, enjoy!



Oatmeal Carmelitas

2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 cup brown sugar
2 cups oats
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/4 cup melted butter
1 cup milk chocolate chips
1/2 cup walnuts or pecans chopped (opt)
1 bottle Hershey's caramel topping
6 Tbsp flour

Combine 2 cups flour, soda, sugar, oats, salt and butter. Press 1/2 mixture into a 9x13 pan. Bake at 350' for 10-12 minutes. Sprinkle chips and nuts on top. Mix caramel with 6 Tbsp flour and pour over chips and nuts. Cover with last of crumb mixture. Bake at 350' for 15-20 minutes.

*Best served with vanilla ice cream
                                                                  (Images taken from Google)

   
How easy is that?! So easy and so delicious. The other great thing is that it makes a ton and can feed a crowd. Perfect for parties and get-togethers. So try it out and let me know how it tastes! It won't disappoint, I promise!

Take care, more recipes to come!

And remember, "It was good!"


No comments:

Post a Comment