Saturday, May 12, 2012

Swedish Meatballs

 Ikea Does Them Best.

 Working at a catering company has already opened my eyes to several new delicious recipes. Last night we had three weddings to cater and one of them requested Swedish Meatballs. Jeff (the head chef) mixed up a huge batch and they were To Die For. I asked what the recipe was for the sauce and he said it only requires two ingredients-- Salsa and Jelly (any kind). I burst out laughing because I thought he was pulling my leg (it being my first day and all). And he said no seriously. All you have to do is mix salsa and jelly together and let it reduce down. I have yet to find a recipe that supports his theory but I did come across this little beauty. It's Ikea's recipe for their famous Swedish Meatballs and Cream Sauce. I haven't tried it yet but since I was in the mood for meatballs, I thought I'd post one of the best.

Enjoy!

              "On top of spaghetti, All covered with cheese, I lost my poor meatball, When somebody SNEEZED . . ."


                                                                   (Image taken from Google)
Ikea's Swedish Meatballs
  • 1 small onion, finely chopped
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 2/3 lb lean ground beef
  • 1/3 lb ground lean pork
  • 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil (for frying)
  • 1 (10 ounce) can beef gravy
  • 1/2 cup 10% cream

Directions:


  1. Saute onions in first tablespoon of oil until translucent. Set aside and let cool.
  2. Combine breadcrumbs and milk, let soak for 10 minutes.
  3. In a large bowl, combine onions, breadcrumbs, milk egg, meat and seasonings. Mix thoroughly. Form tablespoon of the meat mixture into balls.
  4. Over medium heat, fry meatballs in second tablespoon of oil until brown on all sides.
  5. In a small saucepan, combine gravy and cream; heat through but do not boil.
  6. Serve meatballs with gravy, boiled potatoes and lingonberry preserves.

Ingredients of cream sauce:
  • 100 ml cream
  • 200 ml water or beef stock
  • Chinese soy sauce
  • 1 Tbsp white flour
  • salt, white pepper
Method:
  1. Swirl the water or beef stock in a pan. (Cook over medium heat.)
  2. Add cream and thicken with white flour if preferred. Season well with salt and pepper.
  3. Serve the meatballs with the sauce, freshly boiled potatoes (I used extra potatoes to make mashed potato), uncooked lingonberry jam and salad.



"And it was good!"

No comments:

Post a Comment